Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Colourless

As I walked beside the Master one afternoon, ambling and enjoying the fresh mountain breeze, silently submerged in our respective thoughts. Shortly we came across a beautiful emerald lake that was known for its rejuvenating waters. Many pilgrims travelled from afar to dip into the waters to cure of their ailments. As we skirted the lake, many of the devotees greeted the Master reverently. Everybody knew of him.

A little ahead, we came to an old man of stout health, dipping himself vigorously into the lake. Master paused to stare at the old man with amusement writ large upon his face. I too stopped and stared. Soon the old man noticed the Master and literally jumped out of the lake. He approached us and fell at the Master’s feet.

Master, he said, please tell me how to get rid of my pain and miseries. I have been to all the holy lakes and have been immersing myself but I am still in agony. I don’t know what to do anymore.

My brother, Master said, by immersing yourself into holy lakes you only get rid of the dirt and grime of your body. Not that of the mind and soul. For that you got to immerse your mind and soul along with your body.

How can I do that? The old man asked much puzzled.

What is the colour of this lake? Master posed.

Blue, the old man replied instantly. You are mistaken my friend, Master said, the water is colourless, it only reflects what falls upon its glassy surface, therefore appearing blue right now due to the blue sky above but orange at dawn and dusk. It has no colour because it doesn’t hold on to anything. Similarly your pains and miseries refuse to go away since you refuse to let go. You are holding on to them for your dear life yet they take life away from you.


Let them go and become colourless like the lake. 

1 comment:

  1. true, but easily said then done, don't you think so :-D

    ReplyDelete